Frequently Asked Questions

How much does an unmarried dependent student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?
If you are an unmarried dependent student, you must file a tax return if your earned and/or unearned income exceeds certain limits. Even if you do not have to file, you should file a federal income tax return if you can get money back (for example, you had federal income tax withheld from your pay. These limits vary depending on the age of the student and the type of income earned.  Give us a call to get information specific to your situation.
Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?
To claim your child as your dependent, your child must meet the qualifying child test or the qualifying relative test.
  • To meet the qualifying child test, your child must be younger than you and as of the end of the calendar year, either be younger than 19 years old or be a student and younger than 24 years old.
  • There is no age limit on claiming your child as a dependent if the child meets the qualifying relative test.
As long as you meet all of the following tests, you may claim a dependency exemption for your child:
  1. Qualifying child or qualifying relative test
  2. Dependent taxpayer test
  3. Citizen or resident test, and
  4. Joint return test
If I claim my daughter who is a full-time college student as a dependent, can she claim her own personal exemption when she files her return?
If you can claim an exemption for your daughter as a dependent on your income tax return, she cannot claim her own personal exemption on her income tax return. Your daughter should check the box on her return indicating that someone else can claim her as a dependent.